Official website of City of Scalea (Calabria, Italy) in English

News

25 may 2024
Summer festival in Scalea

Summer festival will take place on the streets of Scalea 31/05–01/06. Free entrance.

more...

5 may 2024
Motoraduno in Scalea

Motoraduno — the Biker’s festival coming to Scalea in May!

more...

14 feb 2024
HAPPY VALENTINE'S!

Wish wish a lots of Love to all site visitors!

more...

24 dec 2023
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to holiday home owners and those who just visiting our fantastic City of Scalea!

more...

10 feb 2023
Street carnival

Carnival will take place in Scalea 14–16 February 2023

more...

NEW: SCALEA FORUM (in English)
Goto Thread: Previous • Next
Goto: New Topic • Search • Log In • Register
[Forum List] / PROPERTY (REAL ESTATE) IN AND AROUND SCALEA

Re: 1 euro houses in Italy

1 euro houses in Italy
Posted by: 8trackmind (IP Logged)
Date: January 17, 2021 01:34PM

Hi, y’all! We are from Texas, USA. We keep finding articles on Internet showing Italian real estate being sold for mere 1 Euro as such https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/cinquefrondi-italy-one-euro-houses .
Does anyone know what’s the catch? This forum seems as decent community and I hope to get some honest answers as we are planning to buy some real estate property and eventually move to Italy when all the covid madness will come to the end.

Madelene and Joe

Posted by: mozg (IP Logged)
Date: January 21, 2021 12:34AM

Yes, there some villages that are doing that. However, there are few cons:
— all houses are in state of despair and it will cost small (or big) fortune to fix them and you have to fix them otherwise it’ll be taken from you.
— you have to live in them after you fixed it for a few years before you can sell them.
— you still need to pay notary fees which are usually between 3000 and 5000 euros (incl purchase tax)
— you won’t be able to sell house for few years.. and, if you do, no way you’ll get all your money back
and last but not least, all these properties in very remote locations, that’s why they are falling apart as no one wants to live there (no work, nothing interesting around, no sea etc)

Obviously, it’s for everyone’s to decide but I would steer clear of those options  nurd

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/21/21 12:36AM.

Posted by: 8trackmind (IP Logged)
Date: January 21, 2021 02:36PM

mozg wrote:

Yes, there some villages that are doing that. However, there are few cons:
— all houses are in state of despair and it will cost small (or big) fortune to fix them and you have to fix them otherwise
it’ll be taken from you.
— you have to live in them after you fixed it for a few years before you can sell them.
— you still need to pay notary fees which are usually between 3000 and 5000 euros
(incl purchase tax)
— you won’t be able to sell house for few years.. and, if you do, no way you’ll get all your money back
and last but not least, all these properties in very remote locations,
that’s why they are falling apart as no one wants to live there (no work, nothing interesting around, no sea etc)

Obviously, it’s for everyone’s to decide but I would steer clear of those options
nurd

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 01/20/21 09:36PM.
Thank you for the thorough reply. Id does make sense.

Posted by: Lisa (IP Logged)
Date: May 13, 2021 05:38PM

Yes, this is terrible idea unless you want a half broken house in the town in the middle of nowhere with 20 local residents with average age of 90 y.o. LOL

Posted by: Den Markotti (IP Logged)
Date: July 30, 2022 01:45PM

In order for investments to be correct, you need to look at the popularity of the city. I heard that there is a BBC project coming up soon to renovate a €1 house in Sicily. Thanks to the popularity and increased demand from tourists, you can return your costs. But I am personally confused by the Italian bureaucracy and the need to obtain 10s permits. I am currently actively researching this project. I’ll get back with the news

Posted by: Brits (IP Logged)
Date: August 24, 2022 10:28PM

I wouldn’t go down this road, so many hidden things involved.

Goto: Forum List • Message List • Search • Log In • Register
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Scalea | Where we are | WebTV and PHOTO | Property | Shopping | Sightseeings | Contacts | Forum