Official website of City of Scalea (Calabria, Italy) in English

News

25 may 2024
Summer festival in Scalea

Summer festival will take place on the streets of Scalea 31/05–01/06. Free entrance.

more...

5 may 2024
Motoraduno in Scalea

Motoraduno — the Biker’s festival coming to Scalea in May!

more...

14 feb 2024
HAPPY VALENTINE'S!

Wish wish a lots of Love to all site visitors!

more...

24 dec 2023
Merry Xmas and Happy New Year!

Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to holiday home owners and those who just visiting our fantastic City of Scalea!

more...

10 feb 2023
Street carnival

Carnival will take place in Scalea 14–16 February 2023

more...

NEW: SCALEA FORUM (in English)
Goto Thread: Previous • Next
Goto: New Topic • Search • Log In • Register
[Forum List] / PROPERTY (REAL ESTATE) IN AND AROUND SCALEA

Goto Page:  1 2  Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Freehold or leasehold?

Freehold or leasehold?
Posted by: den (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2018 12:39PM

We are planning to buy property in Scalea.
What do you recommend, freehold or leasehold property?
Many thanks in advance.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 03/04/18 12:05AM.

Re: FREEHOLD OR LEASEHOLD
Posted by: Lisa (IP Logged)
Date: March 03, 2018 10:29PM

Well, it depends on what do you want. If you want cheap property for about 30 years (I think its a max. term of leasehold in Italy), then leasehold is for you. If 30 years is not enough and you are hoping to live longer haha, then freehold is probably would be a better option. Pros of freehold — you don’t pay service charge/ground rent usually associated with owning a lease (usually is about 100 eur per month). Cons — way higher price. There are not much leasehold properties are on offer by the way, you’ll be lucky to find one.

Posted by: den (IP Logged)
Date: March 28, 2018 01:44PM

Lisa wrote:

Well, it depends on what do you want. If you want cheap property for about 30 years (I think its a max. term of leasehold in Italy), then leasehold is for you. If 30 years is not enough and you are
hoping to live longer haha, then freehold is probably would be a better option. Pros of freehold — you don’t pay service charge/ground rent usually associated with owning a lease (usually is about 100
eur per month). Cons — way higher price. There are not much leasehold properties are on offer by the way, you’ll be lucky to find one.
Thank you for the advice!
I’ve checked prices online, and leasehold sounds very attractive and profitable for making money from renting it out.
I will buy few leasehold apartments, instead of buying only one freehold flat.

Re: Freehold or leasehold?
Posted by: 1Andrew1 (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2018 01:17PM

i also looking at leasehold option for an apartment in marcellina. should be visiting end of april or beginning of may

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/09/18 04:00PM.

Posted by: mozg (IP Logged)
Date: April 13, 2018 12:19PM

den wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Well, it depends on what do you want. If you want cheap property for about 30 years (I think its a max. term of leasehold in Italy), then leasehold is for you. If 30 years is not enough
and you are
hoping to live longer haha, then freehold is probably would be a better option. Pros of freehold — you don’t pay service charge/ground rent usually associated with owning a lease (usually is about
eur per month). Cons — way higher price. There are not much leasehold properties are on offer by the way, you’ll be lucky to find one.
I’ve checked prices
online, and leasehold sounds very attractive and profitable for making money from renting it out.
I totally agree, from rental point of view leasehold is way more profitable.
But also, when buying leasehold you can get much bigger and better property only for fraction of the price of the freehold so it well worth considering.

Posted by: Max-ell (IP Logged)
Date: May 06, 2018 12:58PM

I would suggest go for a leasehold as it’s way less expensive and less of a gamble. Plus, process of buying is way quicker.

Posted by: Sheppertonni (IP Logged)
Date: March 26, 2019 05:27PM

What happens if you want to sell? Is it the same as selling a house in the u.k? And how much do you have to pay when the lease is up? ( generally )

Posted by: RomanR (IP Logged)
Date: October 14, 2019 04:29AM

Sheppertonni wrote:

What happens if you want to sell? Is it the same as selling a house in the u.k? And how much do you have to pay when the lease is up? ( generally )
If you want to sell, please contact us, it’s very simple and fast process.

To extend lease will cost you around half of your original price.

Posted by: Brits (IP Logged)
Date: December 08, 2019 01:23PM

mozg wrote:
den wrote:
Lisa wrote:

Well, it depends on what do you want. If you want cheap property for about 30 years (I think its a max. term of leasehold in Italy), then leasehold is for you. If 30 years
is not enough
and you are
hoping to live longer haha, then freehold is probably would be a better option. Pros of freehold — you don’t pay service charge/ground rent usually associated with owning a lease (usually is about
I’ve checked prices
online, and leasehold sounds very attractive and profitable for making money from renting it out.
I totally
agree, from rental point of view leasehold is way more profitable.
But also, when buying leasehold you can get much bigger and better property only for fraction of the price of the freehold so it
well worth considering.
Sounds very attractive…
Considering to buy some leasehold now.

Posted by: Joe77 (IP Logged)
Date: April 08, 2020 01:53PM

We went for leasehold. Last year we’ve used it in May, June, September and October so well worth the maintenance. Very happy.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/08/20 01:56PM.

Goto Page:  1 2  Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Goto: Forum List • Message List • Search • Log In • Register
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Scalea | Where we are | WebTV and PHOTO | Property | Shopping | Sightseeings | Contacts | Forum